2011年6月22日 星期三

Shoot 360˚ stills and video on your iPhone with BubbleScope

Thursday
Jun162011

Shoot 360˚ stills and video on your iPhone with BubbleScope

Thursday, June 16, 2011 at 9:10PM |

"BubbleScope, because the world is all around us" - Tom Lawton

BubbleScope is an optical accessory that can be attached to your iPhone, and is the brainchild of UK designer Tom Lawton. The BubbleScope with the BubblePix App lets you capture, share and enjoy 360° panoramic images and videos in a single shot, but to make this product a reality, Tom is looking for investors, so if you're interested, then head over to the Crowdfunder website for more information, and where you can invest between £20 - £70 GBP.

Print

View Printer Friendly Version

Email

Email Article to Friend

Reader Comments (8)

OK, this certainly looks better than Kogeto Dot & GoPano. It's like a balance between form (Kogeto) and function (GoPano) and maybe outclasses them both!
June 17, 2011 | Unregistered Commenter

Miege

Hmmm, another one is my first reaction!

I have actually backed the GoPano, trusting their experience with the higher-end systems they already made. The Dot is similar to the SONY Bloggie imho, and I expect that one to seriously suffer from internal reflections of the plexiglass cilinder that surrounds it (as does the Bloggie)

This one shoots through a disc of (presumably) plexiglass and that troubles me. I do like the design however, simple unobtrusive, like a lollipop!

I guess time will tell what design will be the best, or least awful ;-)

June 17, 2011 | Unregistered Commenter

Henri

Hi Henri

BubbleScope uses an ingenious but relatively simple arrangement of high grade glass optics, designed to optimise the path of light, omni-directionally from the scene into the phone camera - the simplicity means we don't have to compromise on materials and quality. The input lens you are concerned about is an achromatic doublet, amongst other opto-mecanical uses this reduces chromatic abberation. It uses two grades of glass precision-engineered and mounted in high tolerance together.

We're going to be posting some new footage shortly - hopefully that should overcome any concerns you have - but if you're near Malmesbury, Wiltshire (UK) you are welcome to come and look at a system now.

We see Kogeto & Go Pano as quite different products. Primarily BubbleScope has been designed to work with all major smartphones (not just iPhone). It shoots high res stills as well as video, which iis important because most visual based social media communication is images not video, by a long way. People still prefer taking pics. Equally, our experience in 360 video is on the cutting edge. If I were to list the members & credentials of our development team you would be quite impressed. Finally, we'll be able to retail through major channels at a £50 price point so the plan for BubbleScope is mass market & ubiquitous 360.

You're first reaction was 'another one' :) Please take a look at my story and you can decide where the legacy of mobile 360 imaging started. http://tomlawton.com/inventions/bubblescope

I too believe that time will tell which design is best. Please keep the discussion going.

Regards

Tom

June 18, 2011 | Unregistered Commenter

Tom Lawton

Thanks Tom for the explanation, good to see you're committed to this project!

As a professional photographer actually specialized in panoramics I really like anything 360, even at low res. That's why I backed the GoPano project, the first one I learned about as well.

Seeing it will be a gadget-like extra for my iPhone I will not be getting all three just to get the best, even at a price that's just a fraction of the LadyBug or Giroptic (wich I won't buy because the quality is still below par imho) I do think however you've got a really great design and it's good to see it's compatible with several platforms.

I did get the impression however that the horizon is offset in the examples on your site.

Looking forward to the final product nonetheless, good luck!

June 18, 2011 | Unregistered Commenter

Henri

Hi Tom,

Interesting point indeed. I am truly amazed with with any 360 inventions! If I may know, what difference do you see between Kogeto Dot, GoPano & BubbleScope?

June 19, 2011 | Unregistered Commenter

Miege

Hi Miege,

I don't want to cover this comments board with what appears to be biased propaganda in favour of my product. But I have taken the time to draw up a table of comparison for you to highlight the differences between the three products. I've posted this on my blog here http://tomlawton.com/2011/06/whats-the-difference-between-bubblescope-kogeto-dot-go-pano-micro and welcome you to take a look.

I would be most encouraging of iPhoneography to run an independent test too when all hardware is available to them.

All the best

Tom

June 19, 2011 | Unregistered Commenter

Tom Lawton

Hi Tom, Glyn,

Good to see your comparison on the three products, once again you prove to be committed and thorough.

I'm willing to do an independent review of these devices, I've already ordered the GoPano, so if Tom and the Dot creators are willing to provide me with their solutions I'll shoot some panoramas in the same locations and compare the results and then share my experiences here. I will probably also include software options like PhotoSynth, 360Panorama and AutoStitch for stills. (or those three in a separate review).

Like I said, I shoot regular panoramas almost daily so I think I know what aspects are important, in hardware, software, composition and final delivery/presentation. Check C360.NL for my work.

June 19, 2011 | Unregistered Commenter

Henri

Thanks Tom and everyone else for the comments,

Being bias is inevitable. Good thing you've done well in informing the masses about not just your product but also 360 photography. Consumers are insecure about new products and you've just provided the remedy for that pretty much ;-)

June 21, 2011 | Unregistered Commenter

Miege

fisheye lens for iphone

沒有留言:

張貼留言